The Canada Fund for Local Initiatives gives small-scale grants to civil society organizations and non-governmental organizations in Kenya. The grant amount is between CAD $ 15,000 and 20,000 (approximately US$ 11,500 to 15,000) but can be higher under special circumstances. The deadline is the 20th of July 2018.
If you want to apply with your organization for the Canada Fund for Local Initiatives, here are some tips for your proposal.
What can be funded by the Canada Fund for Local Initiatives?
The Canada Fund for Local Initiatives in Kenya funds projects in three major areas:
- Inclusive governance, including diversity, democracy, human rights and the rule of law.
- Environmental action focusing on improving the conservation and sustainable use of rivers, lakes, oceans and marine resources for sustainable development.
- Gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls.
They make it very clear that every proposal needs to have a very clear connection between gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls, even if it lies in the two other fields of action. With every proposal, organizations have to submit a Gender-Based Analysis of a maximum of two pages. On these two pages applicants should explain:
- how women, girls, men, and boys are affected differently by the problem their project is aiming to address, including to ensure the project does not cause harm;
- how they consult women and/or girls in the development of their project proposal
- how they want to ensure that those views inform the project design.
To get the application form, you have to send an email to the address on the website of the High Commission of Canada in Kenya. With your proposal, you have to submit the gender-based analysis and a clear budget with information about activities and spending.
What is the High Commission of Canada looking for in a proposal?
It is very important to make clear in your proposal how your project will benefit women and girls. In the guidelines, it is put so much emphasis on this topic that it probably does not make sense to apply if your project does not address this topic in a strong way. Furthermore, projects that work at the local level with local organizations have better chances of receiving funding. The High Commission also wants to see innovation in the projects they fund, so be creative and think in new ways when preparing a proposal for this opportunity.
Make sure to check out our resource guide for women’s projects as support for your proposal! We also have a great article about writing proposals for small grants that you should read before you start writing your proposal.
For further information please visit the homepage of the High Commission of Canada. Best of luck with your proposal!