By ReliefWeb Online Course
Registration deadline: 17 Sep 2018
Training date: 19 Sep 2018 to 18 Oct 2018
The Effective Grant Proposal course provides an understanding of and practice in grant proposal writing for non-profits, foundations, and government agencies. Our online structured grant proposal writing course will show you how to write a proposal that easily gets funded. It will teach you to prepare grants proposal effectively and find the best funding sources for your projects and non-profits. A good grant proposal presents your organisation in the best possible light and convinces the potential funder that your goals are aligned with their own mission statement and vision. It makes them want to support your work by awarding you a grant.
This course is great for development workers, research, academic, government, health and non-profit professionals new to the grant writing world as well for professionals looking to expand their grant writing knowledge. It is a comprehensive, hands-on training that covers researching funding sources and writing award-winning proposals. Other topics covered include: defining objectives, researching and getting to know the donor; how to develop a logic model; preparing budgets; and how to follow up with the donor.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Write effective grant proposals in a structured, readable and logical format;
- Write in a positive, audience-focused style;
- Present an organisation and proposed the project with clarity and brevity;
- Research potential sources of grant funding.
Participants will be able to write effective grant proposals that stand a strong chance of receiving a positive response from funder’s. Participants will also be introduced to specialized agencies concerned with bridging the gap between funder’s and grantees.
The course is divided into eight learning modules. The syllabus identifies each modular instructional objectives, study activities and assignments.
Pre – Training
- Introductory Course in the Online Training System (Free)
- Course navigation and guide
- Explanation of course resources
Module 1: Introduction to Proposal Writing
- What is a grant proposal?
- The importance of proposal
- The satisfaction of proposal
- Grant Proposal as a challenge competition
- Solicited and unsolicited proposals
- Main rules for unsolicited proposals
Module 2: The Request for Proposal (RFP)
- How to get request for proposal
- The request for proposal
- Components of a request for proposal
- Proposal writing as a statistical game
- The standardized approach to request for proposal (RFP)
- Using proposal decision form for follow-up
Module 3: Program Development and Planning
- Pre-planning and project management
- Situational Assessment
- Identifying goals, population(s) of interest and objectives
- Identify strategies, activities and resources
- Developing indicators
- Review the program plan
Module 4: Developing a Logic Model
- Stages in developing a logic model
- Preparing to develop your logic model
- Developing or assembling information
- Creating the logic model
- Review and revise the logic model
Module 5: Strategies for Winning a Proposal
- Establish technical credibility
- Use a funder-centered approach
- Get the budget right
- Write simply
- Add unique selling points (USPs)
- Go the extra mile
Module 6: The Building blocks of a Proposal
- Cover letter
- Cover/title page
- Proprietary notice
- Technical approach
- Project team and relevant experience
- Project budget
- End reviews
Module 7: Packaging and Submitting the Proposal
- Funding agency forms
- Packaging, politicking and refunding
- Submission, traditional and online
- Tips for final checks
Module 8: Final Examination and Wrap-up
- Final Examination
- Participants Evaluation of Course/Feedback
This is an online course, so you’ll need to have a computer with an internet connection, and you’ll need a web-browser (you can use IE or Firefox). All the course materials you’ll need to complete this course are provided in the course modules. You will not need to purchase any additional materials, resources, or books. You will also have the opportunity of experiencing the best online training platform.
- Online, interactive, self-paced and self-learning modules.
- Assignments to test your knowledge and understanding before and after the course with.
- Opportunity to post comments, assignment answers, live chat etc.
Interaction with students will be via the Global Human Rights Leadership Training Institute training platform and all course notes and guidelines for the study will be delivered and accessible to students.
At the end of each module, an assignment is completed by the students and marked by the course experts. Assignments are in the form of written assignments.
This course is aimed at staff of non-profit organizations, development workers, government officials, project managers, grant officers, researchers, donor agencies, consultants and knowledge workers in universities, government agencies, and corporate organizations, lecturers, marketers, UN agency staff, human resources managers, business, policy planners, and students who want to learn how to write effective grant proposals.
The course tuition fee is US$300. Course fees include access to all course materials, expert support, assignments as well as postage and packaging of a certificate. There is a limited amount of partial scholarships available for applicants from developing countries, based on financial need.